Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Miss Sister 2008

This one caught my eye awhile ago. It's not a sister-sibling kind of thing, but read on:

ROME - An Italian priest and theologian said Sunday he is organizing an online beauty pageant for nuns to give them more visibility within the Catholic Church and to fight the stereotype that they are all old and dour.

The "Miss Sister 2008" contest will start in September on a blog run by the Rev. Antonio Rungi and will give nuns from around the world a chance to showcase their work and their image. (more..)


I bet there are already tons of reactions and criticisms. I actually don't know how to react. It would probably be a different story if it was re-worded into something not so pageant-like, since connotations of a beauty pageant is synonymous to what most would think of as fully-made-up-gown-and-swimsuit kinda thingi. Don't get me wrong as I have nothing against beauty contests or titlists (lest I'd be biting my own tongue) Iba kasi ang dating pag mga madre na ang pinag-uusapan. Probably a title that's a bit more subtle, like a nun-wide search for a Mother Theresa Recipient Award, or a Nun of the Year Award, or something. Oh yeah, and definitely no swimsuit competitions here!

No comments: